What Your Zodiac Sign Says About Your Finances
Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any of our network partners.
Personal finance can be a very confusing, dull topic for many, so we carefully and methodically positioned our tongues into our cheeks (because we debt analysts are notoriously confusing and dull), and decided to have a little fun.
Using anonymized credit report data from over a million My LendingTree users, we calculated a demographic breakdown of the following personal finance statistics by Zodiac sign.
- Average credit score
- Average number of late payments on a credit report
- Average credit utilization (the amount of available revolving credit, typically credit cards, currently being used)
- Average credit card balance
- Average debt, excluding credit cards and mortgage debt
This is for entertainment purposes only. (Don’t let the Hawaiian shirts and Birkenstocks fool you; our legal department is even more confusing and dull than we are.) The differences between the signs aren’t particularly vast, and there is a lot more variety within each sign than between them, but anyone who recognizes themselves in any of the profiles can take the advice seriously.
- Aries and Libras are the most adept at using credit and debt. They take out plenty of loans and use their cards, but they pay their bills and keep their scores high.
- Leos and Virgos (who follow each other on the calendar) have the most concerning credit profiles, with high balances, lots of late payments and low credit scores.
- Geminis keep low debts and high credit scores.
- Cancers, Scorpios and Capricorns are generally middle of the road, but a little boost in skills and discipline could make a big difference.
- Tauruses and Aquarians are debt averse but could still do a better job of managing their bills.
- Sagittarians and Pisces run up their debts higher than other signs but are middle of the road in terms of managing their finances.
Resources for improving your credit and paying down debt
Feeling overwhelmed by debt and confounded by how to repair credit worthiness is an all too common experience and isn’t limited to any particular sign. Knowing it’s important isn’t the same as knowing what to do about it, but there is information and resources out there to help light the way.
Using an anonymized sample of over one million My LendingTree users from their September 2018 credit reports, researchers averaged credit scores, number of late payments, revolving credit utilization, credit card balances, and non-mortgage debt (excluding credit cards) aggregated by zodiac sign.
The signs are defined as Aries (people born between March 21 and April 19); Taurus (April 20 – May 20); Gemini (May 21 – June 20); Cancer (June 21 – July 22); Leo (July 23 – August 22); Virgo (August 23 – September 22); Libra (September 23 – October 22); Scorpio (October 23 – November 21); Sagittarius (November 22 – December 21); Capricorn (December 22 – January 19); Aquarius (January 20 – February 18); Pisces (February 19 – March 20).
My LendingTree is a free credit monitoring service available to everyone, regardless of their debt histories, or whether they’ve used LendingTree platforms to pursue loans. It currently has over nine million active users.