LendingTree Personal Loan Offers Report – December 2018
Best offered APRs are down from last month for all borrowers, despite the rising rate environment. Rate and loan amount offers varied widely among consumers, depending on factors including, but not limited to, credit score, income, and current debt obligations.
Excellent credit (760+ score): Offered APRs to consumers with a credit score of 760+ averaged 9.56% in December.
- The average best APR offered to all borrowers with credit scores of 760 or above was 9.56%, a decrease of 6 basis points from the prior month and an increase of 198 basis points from the same period one year ago.
- At $20,806, the average loan amounts offered with the best APRs to all borrowers with a score of 760 was up 1.55% ($322) from last month, and down 15.78% ($3,283) from the same period one year ago.
- The top 10% of offers, presented to borrowers with the best profiles within this group, had offered APRs of 5.21% on average, and loan amounts of $18,145. A borrower with this APR and loan amount would save $1,438 by consolidating debt with a 10% APR over a three-year term.
Good credit (680 – 719 score): Offered APRs to consumers with a credit score between 680 and 719 averaged 18.20% in December.
- The average best APR for all borrowers with credit scores of 680 – 719 was 18.20%, down 32 basis points from last month and up 217 basis points from a year earlier.
- At $15,597, borrowers with scores of 680 – 719 saw the amounts offered with the best APRs decrease by about 1% ($146) in the last month and increase by 1.23% ($192) from the same period last year.
- The top 10% of offers, presented to borrowers with the best profiles within the 680 – 719 credit score range, had an average best APR of 7.16%, offered with an average loan amount of $22,180. A borrower with this APR and loan amount would save $2,967 by consolidating debt from a 15% APR over a three-year term.
The most common reasons for seeking a personal loan are credit card refinancing and debt consolidation. These two categories comprise 68% of loan inquiries in November.
About the Report
The LendingTree Personal Loan Offers Report contains data from actual 36-month loan terms offered to borrowers with credit scores of at least 640 on LendingTree.com by third-party lenders. Our report averages the best offered APRs by credit score band and the best 10% of offered APRs within each credit score band, as well as the average loan amounts that accompanied those offers. We organize results by credit score so that borrowers have added information about how their credit profiles may affect their loan prospects.
The personal loan market is a fundamental component of personal finance products available to consumers, and personal loans are often used to refinance existing debt. Knowledge about the terms available to similar borrowers can be a key to making decisions about managing personal finances. We believe this report is an important addition to standard industry surveys and reports on personal loan rates, as most quoted industry rates are either the minimum possible rate or the average rate, and few borrowers will experience either.