Mariner Finance Personal Loan Review
Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any of our network partners.
While Mariner Finance offers smaller personal loans than some other lenders, it also offers well-reviewed customer service. Mariner Finance staff members work with customers to figure out the personal loan option that best fits their specific needs. Keep reading to learn more about its personal loan product.
- Mariner Finance personal loan highlights
- Mariner Finance at a glance
- Eligibility requirements
- What borrowers are saying about Mariner Finance
- Applying for a personal loan from Mariner Finance
- Who’s the best fit for a Mariner Finance personal loan?
- Alternative personal loan options
Mariner Finance personal loan highlights
- Loans up to $25,000: Mariner Finance offers personal loans for between $1,000 to $25,000, depending on the state where you live.
- You can easily get a loan online: Loans between $1,500 and $15,000 are eligible to be accessed via Mariner Finance’s website, while those less than $1,500 or larger than $15,000 are funded by visiting one of its branches in person.
- Soft Pull to see rates: Before formally applying for a personal loan, you can see rates you may qualify for with a Soft Pull.
- A personal touch: Focusing on customer service, Mariner Finance promises to respond to questions quickly. And it claims to get to know the person who’s looking for a loan, ensuring that the consumer gets exactly what they seek.
- No prepayment penalty: Mariner Finance does not charge a prepayment penalty, meaning that you won’t incur any extra fee if you happen to pay back the loan ahead of the predetermined schedule.
Mariner Finance at a glance
- APR range: Up to 35.99%
- Minimum credit score: No minimum credit score
- Terms: 12 to 60 months
- Fees: Not specified
|Terms||Fees and penalties|
- Minimum credit score: No minimum credit score.
- Minimum credit history: None.
- Maximum debt-to-income ratio: None.
Mariner Finance explicitly states that there are no minimum requirements or qualifications to apply. It encourages “everyone” to prequalify for a personal loan, especially as the prequalification process to determine if you have an offer doesn’t ding your credit (though continuing with the application process from there may affect your score). More importantly, however, if you’re looking for loan amounts lower than $1,500 or higher than $15,000, you’ll have to go to a local branch.
What borrowers are saying about Mariner Finance
Mariner Finance reviews from customers are fairly sterling. On LendingTree, it has 4.8 out of 5 stars, with 98% of reviewers recommending the lender.
Consumers tend to note the excellent customer service and ease of the whole personal loan experience at Mariner Finance.
“Jessica made the process simple and fast,” wrote Francine from Charlotte, N.C. “She was very friendly and professional and that made the loan process go smoothly with no stress on my part.”
Borrowers who took issue with Mariner Finance mentioned a lack of helpful communication from the company while getting a loan and dissatisfaction in the amount they qualified for and high interest rates.
Applying for a personal loan from Mariner Finance
Starting the application process for a personal loan from Mariner Finance is as simple as navigating your way to its website. You can check loan offers online, and loans between $1,500 and $15,000 may be funded online, while others outside the range require a visit to a branch. The initial step of browsing loan offers online uses a Soft Pull, so you don’t need to worry about hurting your credit score.
An application takes about five minutes to complete, according to Mariner Finance, while prospective borrowers can expect to hear back about the status of their application within the same business day depending on when they submitted and application volume.
You’ll need a valid government-issued photo ID to complete the application process, and you’ll have to provide proof of income. For any questions you may have, you can contact your local Mariner Finance branch.
Who’s the best fit for a Mariner Finance personal loan?
Mariner Finance makes the best sense for borrowers looking for a personal loan with the ability to apply and access funds online, at least if you’re under the $15,000 cap for digital-exclusive loans.
It’s also a sensible fit for those located in one of the states where it operates a branch, and for those who only seek $25,000 or less.
And those who specifically want a tailored customer service experience should look into Mariner Finance, given its assurance of a highly personal, customized experience.
Alternative personal loan options
- APR: 3.99% to 19.99%*
- Minimum credit requirement: Not specified
- Terms: 24 to 144 months
- Origination fee: No origination fee
LightStream may be a good alternative for those borrowers looking to get a heftier amount of money than they can from Mariner Finance, with loans going up to $100,000. The lender also provides the support of its large parent company, SunTrust Bank.
*Your APR may differ based on loan purpose, amount, term, and your credit profile. Rate is quoted with AutoPay discount, which is only available when you select AutoPay prior to loan funding. Rates without AutoPay may be higher. Subject to credit approval. Conditions and limitations apply. Advertised rates and terms are subject to change without notice. Payment example: Monthly payments for a $10,000 loan at 4.99% APR with a term of 3 years would result in 36 monthly payments of $299.66.
- APR: 8.27% to 35.99%
- Minimum credit requirement: 600
- Terms: 36 or 60 months
- Origination fee: Up to 8.00%
Founded by ex-Google employees, Upstart makes sense for those borrowers who want to wield its technology to get the best loan option for them. It’s the first lending platform to use artificial intelligence and machine learning in order to automate the borrowing process. In addition to other traditional markers of creditworthiness, Upstart looks at education and experience to determine what loan you can get.
Upstart will also appeal to consumers looking for loans beyond the Mariner Finance $25,000 maximum, since it offers loans up to $50,000.
- APR: 10.68% to 35.89%
- Minimum credit requirement: Not specified
- Terms: 36 or 60 months
- Origination fee: 2.00% - 6.00%
LendingClub is a peer-to-peer lending network that connects borrowers and investors. It could be a smart choice for those looking for up to $40,000 from a personal loan, and may be especially ideal for those with not such great credit. The minimum credit score to qualify for a loan through LendingClub is a competitive Not specified.